Thursday, May 31, 2012

You lost me at overachiever

I occasionally get hung up on words. Guess which one it would be in this sentence: "This is a fun, creative work-from-home position with a positive, enthusiastic group of overachievers."

Uh-huh. That's the one, overachievers. So what's my problem?

Fluff and no substance. Attitude and perception without discernment and definition. All the things I hate. Whenever I hear that word my antennae shoot up, my red flags are hoisted, I bare my teeth. Over, under, or normal. Really? Are these the only choices?

There is something so primitive, so lizard brainish about using this word. Verbal darwinism. What will the overachievers be able to take credit for? You could argue that Richard Fuld was an overachiever. He walked Lehman brothers into the largest bankruptcy in history. But hey, he's an overachiever, what do you expect?

Aim high, take big risks, you're the man...blah, blah, blah. Is it any wonder a person with my sensitivities ends up as corporate detritus, doesn't quite engage properly, wonders what all the fuss is about? I'm a den mother without a passel of willing collaborators. I'm a nomad estranged from my tribe. I'm told, look from within to find the answers. They may be there, but then I must turn myself to the world as it is, and what do I see?

A call for greatness that has no precedence. It's never been seen before. We're looking for someone to save us, and we'll know it when we see it. Just convince us you're the one.

And so my journey continues. I learn great things about myself and very sad things about the world in which I live. I see holes that need to be filled where no openings exist. My greatest service will probably be performed in a very different field, if entry is ever made.

Will I be achieved, enough? Convincing, enough? I'm not holding my breath.

And for the privilege of being this firm's overachiever you'll be offered $500/wk on a 1099 basis.

Oh, joy. Onward trusty steed......

No comments:

Post a Comment