Monday, July 26, 2010

Search and bookmark!



I'm reading George Carlin's autobiography. It has been very interesting to learn about the evolution of his comedy routines. The beginning of chapter sixteen struck me as poignant observation.
"The reason I prefer the sledgehammer to the rapier and the reason I believe in blunt, violent, confrontational forms for the presentation of my ideas is because I see that what's happening to the lives of people is not rapierlike, it is not gentle, it is not subtle. It is direct, hard and violent. The slow violence of poverty, the slow violence of untreated disease. Of unemployment, hunger, discrimination....The real violence that goes on every day, unheard, unreported, over and over, multiplied a millionfold."
The core of this idea is not new, but rarely expressed so well. Not everyone has the grace to see what happens and understand that the consequences slip from awareness or hardly register. For all the power and magic of the internet, it sadly seems just to add to the noise of everyday life without also giving badly needed clarity. If you want to find it you really have to be willing to search and bookmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment